Return To Catalogue - Great Britain overview
Note: on my website many of the pictures can not be seen! They are of course present in the cd's;
contact me if you want to purchase them: .
First type; squar stamp, value in a circle, name of company on top and bottom, inscription 'FREE FOR CONVENIENCE OF SINGLE POST LETTERS BY RAILWAY' around the center circle.
Cavan & Leitrim and Isle of Wight Central Railway, 1920
Tralee & Dingle Lt Rly & Tramway Company; Ireland 1898
North British Railway Company, 1906
In this design I have seen:
Caledonian Railway Company: 2 p green
Cavan & Leitrim Railway Company Ltd: 2 p red
Dundee and Anbroath Joint Railway: 2 p green
Great Eastern Railway: 2 p green
Great Northern Railway: 2 p green
Great North of Scotland Railway: 2 p green
Isle of Wight Central Railway: 3 p on 2 p green
Lancashire & Yorkshire Rly: 2 p green, 2 p red
London and North Western Railway: 2 p green
London, Chatham and Dover Railway: 2 p green
London Brighton and South Coast Railway: 2 p green
London, Tilbury & Southend Railway: 2 p green
Midland Railway: 2 p green
North British Railway Company: 2 p green
North Staffordshire Railway: 2 p green
South Eastern Railway: 2 p green
Tralee & Dingle Lt Rly & Tramway Company: 2 p green
(A Great Western Railway stamp in a very similar design)
London & South Western Railway:
Great Eastern Railway:
Midland Railway, 1876
(London Transport Executive Prepaid Newspaper Parcel and Prepaid Parcel NRC)
(Parcel stamp, London and North Western Railway Company, reduced sizes)
(Parcel Stamp London and North Western Railway)
In the above London and North Western Railway I have seen the values: 5 p red, 6 p red, 11 p red, 1 Sh 0 p red and 1 Sh 2 p red.
(North Eastern Railway Company Parcel Stamp)
(Inscription D.U.T.Co. PARCELS)
This stamp is a parcel delivery stamp issued by the Dublin United Tramways Company (with thanks to David Stirling for information on this stamp).
"Walter Morley's Catalogue and Price List or the Stamps of Great Britain' 1897
"Railway Newspaper and Parcel Stamps of the United Kingdom Issued from 1855 to october 1906" compiled by H. L'Estrange Ewen
"The Railway Letter Stamps of Great Britain 1891-1941 Part 3" by A.J. Ecclestone and Sydney R. Turner (1963)
"The Railway and Airway Letter Stamps of the British Isles 1891-1971" by Capt. H.T. Jackson F.R.P.S.,L.
"The Railway Letter Posts of Great Britain" Part 1 General History, by H.T. Jackson (Published by The Railway Philatelic Group)
In the above design exist:
1) With inscription 'Head office 20 Cases St.': 1 p black on yellow, 2 p red, 3 p black on red, 4 p black on green, 6 p black on blue,
2) With inscription 'Head office 6 Wood St.' with a monogram at the foot with an '&' in the center: 2 p red, 3 p black, 3 p black on lilac, 4 p black on green, 6 p black on blue and 1 Sh blue,
3) With inscription 'Head office 6 Wood St.' with a '&' removed from monogram at the foot: 3 p black and 1 Sh black.
4) Different type with value in straight label at the bottom: 3 p black on red, 4 p black on green, 1 Sh black, 4 p black and 6 p black on blue
5) With date on stamp 3 p black on red (1887, 1888, 1889, and 1890) and 4 p black on green (1890)
6) Luggage and Parcel Express 42 and 44 Wood Street: 4 p blue